Fearfree Shopping in Nassau

Everyone and their cat warned me about The Straw Market in Nassau, Bahamas. I was told to watch out for aggressive to the point of being threatening shop - keepers, over priced items and pick-pockets. I found all of that – in India, but not in The Straw Market.  

I went at two different times. Once in the morning with Ian , my People to People ambassador, just as the stalls were setting up. And the second time was by myself in the afternoon . Both times the people were friendly. There was this one lady who spoke to Ian and me for 20 minutes about everything under the sun and she didn’t ask us to buy anything!

My trusty backpack posing on the dock

Sometimes it boils down to your attitude and the energy you put out to the world. As a woman traveling with a tripod and cameras, I felt perfectly safe moving about in The Straw Market. :)


Comments

Popular Posts