Historic Fort City-Srirangapatna

Srirangapatna is a fort city near Mysore in Karnataka. Famous for being Tipu Sultan’s capital in the 1700s, it is a place I wanted to visit again this summer.

at the pond inside the Mosque complex in Srirangapatna

I’ve grown up listening to stories about Tipu Sultan. My cousins and I learnt about his strength when he fought a tiger and won, about his humility where he would use a secret door to enter his mosque so as to not disturb the worshipers. And also about his bravery, when he stood his ground against the British.

The Jamia Masjid within the fort is beautiful. It’s not very ornate but its got a one-with-nature feel about it, especially with the pigeon holes in the minarets. 


I wish the entire fort was better preserved. But the place is so thick with history, that you tend to overlook the crumbling walls.

Comments

Popular Posts